Small Claims Court FAQ
Washington State

Who Can Sue And Be Sued?

Any individual, business, partnership, or corporation (with a couple of exceptions) may bring a small claims suit for recovery of money only for an amount up to $5,000. In general, the claim must be filed in the district court of the county in which the defendant(s) reside. Exceptions and specific rules can be found at RCW 3.66.040. The state of Washington may not be sued in Small Claims Court. Attorneys and paralegals are excluded from appearing or participating with the plaintiff or defendant in a small claims suit unless the judge grants permission.

How Much Does It Cost?
How Do I Get Started?
How Long Do I Have To File My Case?
Serving The Notice
What If We Settle?
Preparing For The Trial
What Happens At The Trial?
What If My Opponent Does Not Appear For Trial?
How Do I Collect My Money?
Can You Appeal A Case If You Lose?
Live Support